Heating Installation Mistakes To Avoid
Date: December 6, 2021
Many People Rush Through the Process
If you’re thinking about replacing your heating system soon, it’s well worth it to take time, do research, and ally with a trusted, experienced professional to get everything right.
Unfortunately, many homeowners rush through the process of choosing and replacing their home heating system. As a result, they make mistakes that could end up costing them money for years to come.
To avoid this situation, learn from other people’s mistakes. Through our decades of experience, we’ve identified 11 common mistakes people make when purchasing a new heating system
11 common heating installation errors
- Not checking a company’s references. When you’re deciding between several heating contractor options, always ask for recent references or testimonials from customers. If your contractor can’t produce them, move on.
- Choosing a company that’s not bonded. The bonding process provides insurance for you as a customer; it guarantees that your contractor will operate in an ethical manner and in compliance with all relevant rules and regulations. If your heating contractor isn’t bonded, find another candidate.
- Choosing a company with under-qualified technicians. Today’s heating systems are complex mechanical and electronic devices; if you want to get the most out of them, you need them to be installed by HVAC experts. Our service technicians are industry veterans who stay at the top of their game by solving problems and devising innovative solutions out in the field every day. In addition, each of our techs participates in regularly scheduled training to keep on the cutting edge of heating technology. All Cubby employees are fully insured, and all of the work we do for you is guaranteed to provide you with years of comfort.
- Requesting too many bids. Comparison-shopping is a good practice – but you should resist the urge to go overboard. Whittle your bids down to a small handful of providers; if you have a contractor you trust, give them the opportunity to match your best (again, not the cheapest) bid. Remember, loyalty can help you and your contractor.
- Not getting a written estimate on installation work. Avoid phone estimates and handshakes; a contractor can easily renege on their agreement, leaving you with little recourse other than time consuming, costly, and difficult legal remedies.
- Not having a contract in place before work begins. As the adage goes, “get it in writing.” This includes a detailed accounting of schedule, fees, labor needs, and equipment costs, plus future expenses for upkeep, potential upgrade paths, and more.
- Not getting a written warranty on installation work. A reputable HVAC contractor stands by their work – and they’ll do it in writing with a no-hassle, no-questions-asked, 100% guarantee that will protect you and your family from any unforeseen breakdowns and other problems.
- Waiting too long for a system upgrade. A 12- to 15-year-old furnace or boiler may still work, but it could be operating at a lower efficiency than when it was new. By replacing it with a new heating system that is highly efficient, you could save hundreds of dollars in energy bills every winter – enough to pay for the upgrade in just a few years.
- Rushing your installation. Once you decide to replace your heating system, take your time and do it right. An error in judgment or a rushed purchasing decision could cost you a ton of money – both now and for years to come.
- Purchasing the least expensive system. If the price of your heating system installation seems too good to be true, it probably is. A bargain-priced system often includes cheaply made parts installed by poorly paid people who work for companies that routinely cut corners. When you see a low-priced system, consider it a red flag – you’ll pay more for that installation one way or another, either now (with higher heating bills) or down the road (in the form of repairs and replacement parts). In most cases, it’s usually both.
- Not registering your equipment warranty. If you neglect to register your heating system, your warranty will not apply when you really need it. Take the time and get it done!
For expert heating system installations – including boilers and furnaces, turn to the people you can trust at Cubby Oil and Energy. Contact us today for a FREE, no obligation estimate on a heating system for your Massachusetts home!