The wicked witch attempted to use poppies to send Dorothy into a permanent sleep. Carbon monoxide (CO) can do that for real.
CO is created when any kind of fuel is burned, but it’s vented safely to the outside. That’s why it’s important to have all fuel-burning devices serviced regularly by a professional. This will ensure that your equipment is operating properly.
Because CO is a toxic, invisible and odorless gas, you should already have CO detectors installed around your home, especially near all bedrooms.
Remember to test the detectors about once a month.
A faulty burner or furnace can cause a CO leak.
Other causes of CO leaks can include:
CO poisoning symptoms include fatigue, dizziness and nausea. If you suspect a CO leak, get fresh air right away by opening doors and windows and leave the house before calling for help.