No Heat? How to Troubleshoot Your System before Calling for Service
Date: December 23, 2019
As winter tightens its grip on greater Boston, we’re relying on our furnaces and boilers more and more to continue to keep our homes warm.
That’s why it’s understandable you may freak out a bit when there’s no heat in your home. During cold snaps, your home could become dangerously cold and you’re at the risk of frozen or burst pipes.
Cubby Oil is here for you. Our certified heating technicians have what it takes to fix your furnace or boiler. And we offer 24-hour emergency service to all of our current Cubby customers.
But before you call us, spend a few minutes to troubleshoot your furnace or boiler. Doing this may save you the time, hassle and expense of an unneeded emergency service call.
Here’s what to do:
- Check the thermostat. Is it set to “Heat” or “Warm?” If it isn’t, turn it on and see what happens. If it is, set the temperature to five degrees warmer than the current room temperature to see if your furnace or boiler turns on. If you have a forced-air heating system and the fan doesn’t kick on, that may be because the burner is not igniting. Call us so we can fix that.
- Check your heating oil tank gauge. It’s possible you have run out of heating oil. If that’s the case, call us for emergency heating oil delivery. And take it as a sign to sign up for automatic delivery moving forward.
- Check the circuit box. The heating system circuit breaker may have been tripped. If it was tripped, reset the circuit breaker. If your heating system doesn’t restart or the circuit breaker trips again, call us.
- Check the switches on the furnace or boiler. All of should be set to “On” or “Start.”
- Check the reset button. Press the reset button on the burner once. ONLY ONCE. Repeat pressing of the reset button could flood the heating system with oil. After pressing the reset button, wait 10 minutes. If it doesn’t turn on, call us.
If the troubleshooting tips don’t work and you find that you need emergency service, don’t contact us online. Call us right away at 617-876-1885. We’ll get there promptly to get your heat back on as soon as possible.
Learn more about Cubby’s equipment installation, service and repairs by exploring our website, or giving us a call. Not a current customer? Should you have any heating troubles this season, please reach out. We’re happy to help.